Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First run

9pm, Monday

I stared at the big orange plastic bag with an orange box inside marked with an iconic check trademark for long. Why on earth was I convinced to buy these?

I, for one, am not an athlete. I don't even engage in to sports. The closest thing I got into sports was high school intramurals. I was snuck into the juniors' volleyball team. WTF?! Although this game doesn't require me running for a long time, hitting the ball with my arm is not very easy for me. I have really weak bones. When I was younger, on my elementary days, I broke my left arm while playing Luksong Baka on 5th grade and my right wrist bone when I fell down while playing on the school ground. This has left me with a huge phobia on being so active. I remember my mother telling me that I should study hard just so when I grow up, I would get a job that would not require lifting heavy weights (I guess, my mom did not anticipate call centers).

Mondays are assigned for cleaning our place. While waiting for the productive spirit to get in to my system, I decided to take the shoes off the box and stack it on to the shoe rack along with our other shoes. After getting a whiff of fresh rubber, I gave the new pair another look. This doesn't look bad at all – good to be exact. I'm not a fashion expert at all, but I really like the way the shoes looks. The trademark check on the sides, another small check mark sophisticatedly placed on the tip and that piece of fabric placed on top and the back of the shoes that lights up when another light source hits it… it's mesmerizing.

It made me think, it would be such a waste if I don't use it. I no longer wear snickers when I go to the mall. I either wear slippers or a pair of loafers (it's really comfy). So I started texting, and here are my exact words:

"Hi Charm! May problem ako. I bought a new pair of running shoes. The problem is I don't have anyone to jog with. Could you join me before you go to work?"

If you're asking - Yes, I text in full English words. I don't abbreviate.

Charm used to be my agent from my previous company. We both left due to an unfortunate turn of event. But after discovering that she just live near our place, I frequented her place while we were off job hunting.

She agreed to join my crazy plan. I told her I'll be at her place at around 4am. She said she'll be up by then.

3:30am, Tuesday

I got off and changed into (this is ridiculous) my board shorts, a white printed tee and then wore my running shoes. I stuffed my bag with a towel and a spare shirt in case I would need to change. I was told to leave my phone, wallet and anything important that I would think of bringing but I just threw everything into my bag including a pack of cigarettes. I told Charm we won't be smoking but in case we both changed our minds, I would light a cigarette while telling her this is a bad idea.

On my way to her place, I passed by the building where we used to work. I thought I just hope that no one sees me wearing this ridiculous set of clothes. Well, if someone asks, I'd just tell them I'm off to an outing or something.

Walking through Exportbank Drive, (if you're familiar with this place, you'll know that this is not a very well lit street) I was bothered how empty the street was. I almost forgot that the eateries where we used to eat were already removed and were turned into a parking lot. At the edge of my sight, I saw a homeless woman. Being the paranoid scumbag that I am, crazy thoughts started playing in my mind. I shouldn't have brought my phone with me… I'm a dead meat, I thought. I started running - casually, of course to avoid catching anyone's attention.

I stopped running when I reached Washington Street. I figured I'd look stupid running with a bag. After two blocks, I reached Charm's place (in one piece) – barely catching my breath and covered with sweat. As usual, Charm hasn't changed into her running clothes so sat on her bed while she changed into her short shorts and tank tops.

4am

We started walking to the circular street a block away from their place and agreed to briskly walk around the circle twice and then we'll start running for 15 minutes. We were chatting as we briskly walk around. As we walk, I can see people standing by the sari-sari stores staring at us. I told her, they might have been thinking, "what in the world are these two thinking?" We started running after two rounds of brisk walk – still chatting and to no surprise, after two rounds of jogging, Charm said, she's already tired!

I gave in. But in one condition, I told her, we should jog our way to McDonald's.


 

I therefore conclude that the first run is a complete failure.

But it definitely kicked off my interest to run.

Plus we perspired like pigs. I wonder how many calories we've lost on that run. Oh, yeah, we ate a lot, so that definitely is a failed run!


 

Till next time…

Thank you so much!

1 comment:

  1. kulit...,

    I know magiging successful ka rin sa pagtakbo mu...,

    takbo lang... :-)

    ReplyDelete